TLC's Oak Keeper Project
The oak trees in McHenry County need your help! Only 4 percent of McHenry County's oak tree populations remain. If we don't do something today, there's a good chance we won't have oaks in our landscape for much longer.
There are many ways you can play a part in ensuring that oak trees will always be a part of our local landscape. One way is to become an Oak Keeper!
What is an Oak Keeper?
As an Oak Keeper, you will learn hands-on skills and background knowledge to apply to the restoration of McHenry County’s oak ecosystems. Join TLC at any of these programs listed below hroughout the year to learn more!
Whether you own an oak woods, want to volunteer to help restore oak woodlands, or just want to learn more about this important part of McHenry County's history and ecology, you will benefit from the Oak Keeper program.
What classes can I take?
Choose from any five of the 2018 Oak Keeper classes below. You will need to attend five classes in order to become an Oak Keeper. We'll keep track of your progress and invite you to join us at the required hands-on restoration workshop party to learn techniques of clearing invasive brush. Certificates and t-shirts will also be handed out!
- Winter Tree ID: 1/14/18, 9am-12pm. Hennen Conservation Area, 4622 Dean St, Woodstock. $10.
- The Good, Bad, and the Ugly: Oak Ecosystem Site Assessment: 2/10/18, 9am-10:30am. Ryder’s Woods, 750 Kimball Ave, Woodstock. $10.
- Learn to Burn: 3/24/18, 9am-3pm. Hennen Conservation Area, 4622 Dean St, Woodstock. $35 member/$50 non-member
- Vernal Pool Hike: 4/14/18, 9am-11am. 18313 Hebron Rd, Harvard. $5.
- Plant Your Own Monarch Garden: 4/19/18, 6:30-7:30pm. Woodstock Public Library, 414 W. Judd St, Woodstock. Register at www.woodstockpubliclibrary.org or call 815-338-0542.
- Mother’s Day Spring Wildflower ID Hike: 5/13/18, 9am-10:30am. Ryder’s Woods, 750 Kimball Ave, Woodstock. $5 with pre-registration, $10 at the event.
- Herbicide 101: 5/17/18, 6 to 8:30 p.m., Hennen Conservation Area, 4622 Dean St, Woodstock. Price TBD.
- Summer Tree ID: 6/23/18, Time TBD. Hennen Conservation Area, 4622 Dean St, Woodstock. $10.
- Wild Woodstock Walks: Pollinator Habitat Restoration in Action: 7/28/18. Times and sites in Woodstock. Free.
- Oak Rescue: 10/6/18, 9am-12pm, Irish Oaks Savanna, 19019 Lincoln Rd. Harvard, IL. Free
- Beginner’s Chainsaw Training: 10/7/18. 9am-2:30pm. Hennen Conservation Area, 4622 Dean St, Woodstock. $35 TLC members/$50 non-members.
- Seed Sharing Event: 10/20/18. 10am-2pm. Location in northern McHenry County Location TBD. Free.
- Wild Woodstock Walks: Fall Beauty in the Woods. 10/27/18, three sites throughout Woodstock. Free.
- *Work-a-Woodland: Hands-on Restoration 101. 12/1/18, time and location TBD. *REQUIRED to receive Oak Keeper certification
Click here to read some of the stories from Oak Keepers over the years.
Become an Oak Keeper today and enjoy the following benefits:
- A six-month membership to TLC and a hat or t-shirt
- Invitation to informal Oak Keeper gatherings throughout the year
- Invitation to attend TLC restoration workdays and educational workshops
- Help nurture our county's next generation of native trees.