Fundraising and Special Events
The Land Conservancy holds a number of events throughout the year that are opportunities for folks to learn about the work TLC does, get involved with TLC, develop new skills, and support land preservation in McHenry County.
Get Involved - Support TLC's Land Preservation Work
- Art of the Land. TLC's fall fundraising event, held at the Historic Starline gallery in Harvard, Illinois is an event not to be missed. On the final Friday and Saturday of September, this art show & benefit brings visual and spoken word artists together for a celebration of the land and all it provides.
- Annual Meeting/Awards Brunch. Held the last Sunday in January each year, this event brings TLC members and friends together for a celebration of the good works completed in the previous year, as well as recognition for the many volunteers and partners who contribute so much to the mission.
- Annual Rainbarrrel & Composter Sale. Every Spring, TLC gives residents the opportunity to order 55-gallon, recycled plastic rainbarrels and tumbling composters for pick-up in mid-May.
- Spring & Fall Oak Sale. To support the 3rd Generation Oak Fund, TLC works with Glacier Oaks Nursery to sell a variety of locally-grown oaks that residents can plant in their yards.
- Memorial & Celebration Oaks. In the spring and fall of each year, TLC plants dozens of oaks with and for residents who wish to memorialize friends and family, or celebrate events such as the birth of a grandchild, an anniversary or a significant birthday.
Learn & Develop New Skills
- Oak Keepers training is held each Spring to train volunteers to conduct basic ecological assessments of the county's privately owned oak woods.
- "Learn to Burn" is a one-day class held in the early Spring to introduce landowners and volunteers to the proper use of ecological burning for natural area management.