The Land Conservancy holds a number of events throughout the year that are opportunities for folks to learn about the work TLC does, get involved with TLC, develop new skills, and support land preservation in McHenry County.
Learn & Develop New Skills
- Volunteer at a land restoration event. TLC holds restoration events 1-3 times each week. No experience needed - we will train people on basic land restoration techniques that include removal of invasive brush, garlic mustard control and native seed collection.
- Become an Oak Keeper. Training is held each Spring to teach volunteers to conduct basic ecological assessments of the county's privately owned oak woods. Contact Linda Balek for more information.
- "Learn to Burn" is a one-day class held in the early Spring to introduce landowners and volunteers to the proper use of ecological burning for natural area management.
Get Involved - Support TLC's Land Preservation Work by helping at an event
- Art of the Land. TLC's fall fundraising event, held at the Historic Starline gallery in Harvard, Illinois is an event not to be missed. On a Friday and Saturday in September, this art show & benefit brings visual and spoken word artists together for a celebration of the land and all it provides. The Planning Team will meet on the last Monday of the month through August, starting in February, at the TLC office, 4622 Dean Street, Woodstock at 6:30pm.
- Annual Celebration Brunch. Held the last Sunday in January each year, this event brings TLC members and friends together for a celebration of the good works completed in the previous year, as well as recognition for the many volunteers and partners who contribute so much to the mission.
- Annual Rainbarrrel & Composter Sale. Every Spring, TLC gives residents the opportunity to order 60-gallon, recycled plastic rainbarrels and tumbling composters for pick-up in mid-May.
- Spring & Fall Oak Sale. To support the 3rd Generation Oak Fund, TLC works with Glacier Oaks Nursery to sell a variety of locally-grown oaks that residents can plant in their yards.